Today in this article, I’ll be sharing with you how to apply for different Scholarships and get taken. So, if you are in search of the best ways to successfully apply for a scholarship, then this guide is all you need.
The whole idea of a scholarship is to help students with financial assistance that will enable them further their studies. There are certain things you need to put into consideration while trying to search for the best scholarship.
And while studying on scholarship is important and highly recommended for those who are not financially stable, it’s also important that you learn how to successfully apply for a scholarship. Luckily for you, our guide below will show you how to successfully apply for a scholarship and get taken.
How To Apply For Scholarships
Applying for a scholarship is not difficult but one step out of the line could ruin your chances of being selected as the right candidate to represent the scholarship.
This is why we always encourage scholarship applicants to carefully follow the proper steps required to apply for a scholarship. Below are the 6 steps on how to successfully apply for a scholarship:
1. Identify An Appropriate Scholarship
The first step to take is to find a suitable scholarship. Ensure that you check all the eligibility criteria boxes below, we have provided them because they’re also the demographic lots of scholarships aim for:
- You desire to undergo a study at research, undergraduate, or postgraduate level.
- You desire to major in a specific field of study.
- Also, ensure you are from a country that is eligible to receive that particular scholarship.
- You are interested in studying overseas.
- Also, ensure you’re in need of partial or full academic funding.
- You once demonstrated leadership, high academic achievement in your desired field of study, were innovative or showed entrepreneurial skills within your community.
Were you able to check all the boxes? If yes, then you’re qualified to take most scholarships. The next thing to do is to find a suitable scholarship.
You can find scholarships either by:
- Vising Our Scholarship Section here.
- Talk to your career or educational counsellor, or enquire from either family or friends.
- Visit the official website of any university you desire to apply for a scholarship and see if they are offering any.
2. Get the Necessary Documents Ready
The next step to take after spotting your desired scholarship is to get all the required documents needed by the awarding body ready.
Some of the common documents usually needed, include the following:
- Previous exam results
- Passport or birth certificate
- Degree or high school certificate
- Personal statement
3. Get Your Documents Certified or Attested
After getting all the required documents ready, the next thing to do is to get them attested. Getting your documents attested is necessary and it will show that the documents in question are original and authentic.
Some of the people that can help you get your documents attested include the:
- Police officers
- A ministry
- Medical personnel
4. Contact Referees
Most scholarships need referees, it’s therefore important that you contact your referees and let them know about your plans of applying for a scholarship.
When it’s time to apply for the scholarship, your referees will send the scholarship body their reference letters stating your good qualities as well as how much they know you and think you’re fit for the scholarship.
Make sure that you inform your referees before time so they can start preparing their letters that you will submit as soon as it is requested.
5. Time To Fill Your Application
After gathering and attesting all the required documents, then it’s time to apply for your scholarship by filling out the scholarship application form.
Don’t forget that most scholarships are very competitive, thus you may be competing with lots of prospective awardees so you need to make your application stand out from the rest.
How to go about it:
- Read everything you can about the organization sponsoring the scholarship, including their mission, goals, vision, as well as what they desire to achieve with the scholarship. Also, find out the particular quality they are searching for in the ideal candidate.
- Once you arm yourself with all the information you’ve gathered, tailor your personal statement and your application as well, to meet the exact scholarship specifications.
- Ensure your documents are attached in the exact order it has been requested for and also ensure you don’t omit anyone.
- Carefully fill out the form and ensure you don’t skip any questions without answering them unless it’s optional.
- Vet your scholarship application or get an experienced person to do that for you. I would recommend you meet someone who has applied and successfully received a scholarship before.
6. Finally, Submit Your Application
You can submit your application either offline (via post) or online depending on the directives given to applicants by the scholarship hosts.
Ensure you only follow the submission instructions given to scholarship applicants by the scholarship body. Don’t let anybody mislead you or tell you otherwise.
Also, crosscheck your application to ensure that all the required documents are attached to your scholarship application before you submit it.
Note that most scholarships can stay up to 6 months or even more before they announce the names of the winners as well as losers. Thus, if you mistakenly omitted any document you may have to wait that long just to get your high hopes dashed. So, you need to be careful with the whole process.
Mistakes Applicants Make While Applying For Scholarships
Below are some of the common mistakes that applicants make while applying for a scholarship that could cost them their opportunity:
- Lying about your country of birth and credentials on your application.
- Submitting fake certificates.
- Giving false information about your financial status.
- Acting as a referee for yourself in order to manipulate the decision of the scholarship body.
- Submitting an application that is not complete.
Qualities Most Scholarships Need From Their Ideal Scholarship Candidates
Below are some of the qualities most scholarships host look out for in their ideal scholarship candidates. It includes the following:
1). Intelligent: Most scholarship bodies prefer candidates with strong academic prowess or those innovative enough to come up with ideas and businesses that can both identify and resolve challenges.
2). Good Ambassadors: While most scholarship bodies consider intelligent people as their ideal candidates, some others may be on the lookout for other qualities. But what’s important is that the candidate should be able to better represent their scholarship ideal both during and after the scholarship.
3). Passionate and Ambitious: Most scholarships look for ambitious and passionate individuals who they can aid. They know that an ambitious and passionate person will always strive to both better themselves and their environment.
4). Dedicated and Community Conscious People: Most scholarships prefer to go after young social entrepreneurs and leaders who can identify a problem in the community and also actively dedicate themselves to solving the problems.
Should in case you’re able to tick all the boxes above and also believe that you need a scholarship opportunity in order to chase that lifelong dream of yours, then below is a list of 50 ongoing scholarships.
List Of 50 Ongoing Scholarships For International Students
Below is a list of the ongoing scholarships for international students. You can click on any of them to get more information and also apply for the scholarship.
- Cape Breton University Entrance Scholarships for Students.
- Simon Fraser University Undergraduate Scholars Entrance Scholarship.
- York University Undergraduate Scholarships.
- How to Apply for The Ongoing Coca-Cola Scholarship.
- University of Alberta Fully Funded Scholarships.
- University of Toronto Scholarships.
- University of British Columbia Rio Tinto Graduate Scholarships Program.
- University of Manitoba Undergraduate Scholarships (Bursary).
- McGill University McCall MacBain Scholarships to Study in Canada.
- Laurentian University Scholarships.
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship Program for Doctoral Study.
Do we hope you enjoyed reading our article on how to apply for Scholarships? Don’t also forget to share this article with those who want to learn how to apply for scholarships.