Do you wish to study Applied Biology at any higher institution in Nigeria? If yes, then you just landed on the right page. This page contains the various requirements for studying Applied Biology at any University in Nigeria. Some of the information on this page includes the JAMB Subject Combination for APPLIED BIOLOGY, O’Level requirements, list of Universities in Nigeria where you can study Applied Biology.
You will also find the Direct Entry requirements necessary to study, places you can work with a degree in applied biology, and other vital information.
NOTE: Before you even think of applying to study this course in any of the Nigerian universities listed below, ensure that you are a student with a science background.
JAMB Subjects for Applied Biology
The required JAMB Subject Combination for Applied Biology will be listed below, but it’s also necessary that you note that the JAMB cut-off mark for this course is 180. Nevertheless, we urge you to aim for 200 and above to stand a better chance of being admitted based on merit.
Below are the three (3) JAMB UTME Subjects required to study Applied Biology at any Nigerian University as a UTME candidate:
3). Mathematics or Physics.
1). BAUCHI requires Geography and not Mathematics.
2). LAGOS requires Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
- CONSERVATION BIOLOGY.
- CELL BIOLOGY & GENETICS.
- ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS TO STUDY BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES.
- STUDY INDUSTRIAL MICROBIOLOGY.
- MICROBIOLOGY AND BIOTECHNOLOGY.
- MICROBIOLOGY AND INDUSTRIAL BIOTECHNOLOGY.
O’Level Subjects for Applied Biology
There are five (5) O’level subjects that you are required to have a credit pass in your SSCE. The five (5) O’level subject combination for applied biology includes;
3). English Language
5). And any 1 of the following subjects among Physics, Health Science, Geography and Statistics.
NOTE: The O’level subjects apply to NECO, GCE, WAEC, and their equivalent.
- EBSU, COVENANT, and LAGOS require ‘O’ level credit passes in the following subjects; Mathematics, English Language, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics.
- WESLEYUNI requires 5 ‘O’ level credit passes in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, English Language, and any other Science subject.
- BAUCHI requires 5 ‘O’ level credit passes which must include Mathematics, and English Language to form the core course in addition to 3 other relevant Science subjects from Biology or Agricultural Science, Chemistry, and Geography.
- BELLS same as in Microbiology.
RELATED POST: STUDY PLANT SCIENCE AND MICROBIOLOGY.
Applied Biology Direct Entry Requirements
If you don’t intend to use UTME to gain admission into any Nigerian University to study Applied Biology, then you must ensure that you satisfy the Direct Entry Requirements for Applied Biology listed below if you want to study this course at any Nigerian University.
- Two (2) ‘A’ level passes in Biology and either Physics or Chemistry.
- LAUTECH accepts 2 ‘A’ level passes in Chemistry and Biology, or Physics in addition to the UTME requirements or ND upper credit / HND or NCE credit in the related program may be considered for entry into 200 level.
- BELLS the same as in Microbiology.
- RSUST accepts candidates with the following qualifications:
i). ND in relevant programs for admissions to 200 levels.
ii). HND in a related program for admissions into 300 level.
- LASU (Lagos State University) accepts very good passes in the following 3 JUPEB/’A’level subjects Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
- WESLEYUNI accepts;
i). At least 2 ‘A’ level passes in Physics or Chemistry, and Biology.
ii). NCE and ND upper credit plus 5 ‘O’ level credit passes or its equivalent.
- EBSU accepts ND/HND upper credit, and NCE merit respectively in the relevant programs.
- BAUCHI accepts IJMB/’A’ level passes in Chemistry, Biology, and any 1 of the following 3 subjects, Agricultural Science, Physics, or Mathematics. ND lower credit in the following programs: Forestry or Agriculture, Science Laboratory Technology, and Food Science Technology. The applying candidate must also have 5 ‘O’ level credit passes in Mathematics, English Language, Chemistry, Agricultural Science or Biology, and Geography or Physics.
- RHEMA accepts ND/HND lower credit in addition to the UTME requirements.
In universities In Nigeria, you can Study Applied Biology
- Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi
- Bayero University, Kano
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology
- UNILAG (University of Lagos)
- UST (River State University of Science and Technology)
Please be informed that the list of Universities offering applied biology is all government universities according to the JAMB Brochure which happens to be the source of our information.
READ ALSO: BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES.
Places To Work with a Degree in Applied Biology
- Field biology
- Lab technicians
- Science teachers
- Technical writers
- Natural resource managers
- Laboratory research assistants
- Pharmaceutical sales representatives