All the Crop Production admission requirements have been listed in this article to help students applying to study this course in any higher institution in Nigeria avoid mistakes.

Crop Production which is under the faculty of Agriculture is a pure science course and will be only suitable for students with a science background. This means that commercial or art students are not fit to study this course.

In the following paragraphs, we will list out all the O’Level and JAMB subject combinations for Crop Production, special consideration (Waiver), a list of Universities where you can study this course, Direct Entry (DE) admission requirements, places you can work with a degree in Crop Production and many more.

O’Level Subjects for Crop Production

You are required to possess at least five (5) SSC credit passes in the required O’Level subjects. The five required O’Level subject includes:

1). Agricultural Science/Biology.

2). Mathematics.

3). Chemistry.

4). Physics (At least a credit pass).

5). And one Science/Social Science subject.

NOTE: The O’Level subjects are not limited to only WAEC, but it also includes NECO, GCE, and their equivalent.


1). UNICAL requires 5 ‘O’ level credit passes which must include Biology/Agric Science, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics (At least a pass), and one Science/Social Science subject in addition to English Language 9 credit pass.

2). DELSU accepts a pass in English Language.

3). DELSU accepts a pass in English Language.

4). UNIBEN accepts Further Mathematics and Statistics. They also accept at least a pass in Physics and a pass in Biology and this applies to candidates with a credit pass in Agric. Science.

5). DELSU accepts P.7 in the English Language.

6). UNIBEN accepts/requires Statistics and Further Mathematics. They also accept Physics (at least a pass) and a pass in Biology and this applies to candidates with a credit pass in Agric. Science.

7). MAUTECH accepts a pass in Physics.

8). OOU requires ‘O’ level credit passes in Mathematics, Physics, and English Language.

9). FUTA requires five (5) credits at NECO or WASSCE or GCE O’Level or equivalent examinations in not more than two sittings in the following subjects: Mathematics, English Language, Chemistry, Agricultural Science, or  Biology. They also require at least a Pass in Physics.

10). FUTMINNA accepts any one of Physics, Economics, geography, Home Economics, Food and nutrition as the fifth subject. They also require at least a pass in Physics.

11). UNIPORT accepts any Geography, Economics, and Physics. They also accept Maths or Physics as the third subject.

12). FUAM requires 5 credit passes in Agriculture Science or Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, English Language, or any other Science subjects. Accepts a pass in Physics.

13). UNAAB requires:
i). At least a pass in Physics.
ii). Credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, and Biology.
iii). Candidates with a passing grade in Biology must ensure they have a credit pass in Agricultural Science. They don’t accept Agricultural Science instead of Biology.

14). LAUTECH requires 5 credit passes in Mathematics, Biology or Agriculture Science, Physics, Chemistry, and English Language.

15). FUAM And MOUAU accept a pass in Physics.

16). ABSU and ANSU require 5 ‘O’ level credit passes in Mathematics, English Language, Chemistry, Biology, or Agricultural Science.

17). FUTO and FUTMINNA require credit passes in Mathematics and English Language.

18). UNIZIK accepts a credit pass in Mathematics or a pass in Physics or vice versa. They also accept a pass in English Language.

19). NDU requires 5 ‘O’ level credit passes in Maths, English, Chemistry, Biology or Agricultural Science, and Physics.

20). UNN accepts 5 O’level credit passes in the following subjects English Language, Biology/or Agric. Science, chemistry, and either physics or mathematics.

21). RSUST and BASU require credit in English language for UTME but accept a pass in Physics.

JAMB Subject Combination for Crop Production

If you are a student who wants to study Crop Production at any University in Nigeria via UTME, then you must ensure that you score up to 180 which is the JAMB cut-off mark for Universities. There are three (3) O’Level subjects that you are to expect in your UTME examination and they include:

1). Chemistry.

2). Biology/Agriculture.

3). Mathematics or Physics.


1). OOU requires SSC credit passes in Mathematics, Physics, and English Language.

2). FUTA requires Mathematics, English Language, Physics, Biology or Agricultural Science, or Chemistry.

3). SALEM requires Biology/Agricultural Science, Physics, and Chemistry.

4). LAUTECH requires Biology/Agriculture Science, English language, Physics/MathematicsChemistry.

Crop Production admission requirement for Direct Entry (DE)

If you don’t intend to use UTME for admission into any of the Nigerian Universities listed below, then you will have to meet the direct entry admission requirements.

  • Two (2) ‘A’ level passes in Chemistry and Agricultural Science/Biology/Botany/Zoology or Mathematics/Physics/Economics.


1). FUTO requires at least 2 A level passes which shouldn’t be below Grade C in Chemistry and any one of Agricultural Science, Zoology, Botany, Biology, Physics Economics, or Mathematics. It also accepts Upper Credit OND/HND in Agricultural Science but does not accept NCE and First Degree. Candidates are in addition required to meet the UTME O’ level requirements.

2). BASU accepts OND (relevant field), and NCE in addition to UTME requirements.

3). MAUTECH accepts:
i) NCE/OND in Agriculture with a minimum of Merit grade.
ii) IJMB with at least 7 cumulative points in Biology/ Agricultural, Chemistry, and Physics/ Mathematics.

4). FUTA accepts: OND or equivalent professional qualifications which must be at Upper Credit level or ‘A’ level passes in at least 2 of the following subjects, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Biology. If you can meet the requirements mentioned above which must be from a recognized institution, then you be considered for admission into the 200 level, if only you meet the minimum entry requirements and have passed relevant subjects at an appropriate level.

5). FUTMINNA doesn’t accept Social Science subjects. Other requirements are as in Agriculture.

6). RSUST requires GCE/HSC A’ level passes in Biology and  Chemistry including English Language, ND/UD (upper credit) in Agricultural Science or Biology for admission to 200 level or HND (credit) in Agricultural Science or Biology for admission to 300 or 200 levels respectively plus UTME requirement.

7). NDU – No direct entry admission.

8). EBSU accepts NCE with minimum Merit passes which must be from relevant fields or HND and OND with a minimum of Upper Credit in relevant fields.

9). OOU requires ‘A’ level passes in both Biology and Chemistry. They also accept credit in OND (Agric) to 100-level programs. OND (distinction)/HND (Credit)/NCE (Double major) at credit level in Agriculture.

10). EKSU accepts a pass in Physics.

11). FUTMINNA accepts HND/NCE/OND at a minimum of Lower Credit level plus UTME requirement.

12). UNAAB requires:
i). Two A’ level credit passes in Chemistry and any one of Botany/Zoology/Agricultural Science/Biology, Physics or Mathematics.

ii). NCE in Agricultural Science, Chemistry or Physics, Biology (credit) in addition to UTME requirements.

iii). HND/ND (Upper credit) in Agriculture from a recognized institution in any one of Agricultural Extension, Agricultural Economics, Fisheries, Agricultural Technology, Forestry and Wildlife Management in addition to UTME requirements.

13). OAU doesn’t accept Economics but they accept HND/OND in Agriculture obtained at upper credit level and it must be from a recognized Institution.

14). UNICAL accepts NCE/OND, and HND at merit level but they don’t accept IJMB.

15). FUAM accepts:
i.) OND/NCE/HND (Credit/Merit) in Agriculture
ii). Two “A” level passes in any of Chemistry and Biology/Agricultural Science/Botany/Zoology or Maths, (Pure & Applied) Physics, Economics and Geology).

16). LAUTECH accepts:
i). OND/NCE/HND (Credit/Merit) in Agriculture.
ii). Two (2) `A” level passes in any of Chemistry, Agricultural Science/Biology, or Physics.

17). FUTA admits candidates with any of the followings:
i). GCE Advanced Level passes in Biology and any of the following subjects: Mathematics, Chemistry, and Physics.
ii). A minimum of OND upper credit from any recognized Polytechnics or the Nigerian Certificate in Education (NCE) or Colleges of Technology or equivalent in relevant agriculture-based disciplines such as Crop Production Technology and Agricultural Education.

18). ADSU accepts NCE (double major), OND (distinction), and HND (credit) at credit level in Agric.

19). UNIBEN accepts Merit in HND (Lower Credit)/ ND (Upper credit) in any one of Agric-Economics, Agric-Extension and Cooperatives, Food and Brewing Science, Forestry & Wildlife Management, Fisheries, Geology, Advanced Microbiology, Science Lab. Tech. plus UTME requirements. NCE in Agric. Science, Biology, Chemistry, or Physics (overall merit pass) in addition to UTME requirements. They don’t accept an ‘A’ level pass in Health Science.

20). IMSU accepts NCE (Double Major) or OND and HND in Agriculture with at least a credit pass in the 200 level.

21). KWASU accepts HND/OND, NCE (relevant field) plus UTME requirements.

22). FUTO requires at least 2 A level passes which must not be below Grade C in Chemistry and any one (1) of Zoology, Agricultural Science, Biology, Mathematics, Economics, and Physics. It also accepts Upper Credit HND/OND in Agricultural Science but they don’t accept First Degree and NCE. Candidates will also meet the UTME O’ level requirements.

Universities in Nigeria where you can Study Crop Production

  • ADSU (Adamawa State University)
  • FUTMINNA (Federal University of Technology Minna)
  • OOU (Olabisi Onabanjo University)
  • FUNAAB (Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta)
  • CRAWFORD (Crawford University)
  • FUAM (Federal University Of Agriculture, Makurdi)
  • BASU (Bauchi State University)
  • SALEM (Salem University)

Job titles/ Career Opportunities for Crop Production

  • Crop analyst
  • Crop manager
  • Crop scientist
  • Crop consultant
  • Research scientist
  • Landscape designers
  • Golf course managers
  • Field or lab researcher
  • Crop nutrients risk consultant
  • Agricultural crop farm manager
  • Independent grower/farm owner
  • Commercial greenhouse managers
  • Crop production planning manager
  • Nursery and garden center managers
  • Seed production operations manager
  • Integrated pest management specialist

About the author


Leave a Comment