JAMB Subject Combination For Sociology has so many things different requirements attached to it. It’s therefore important you know every single detail required by each institution to enable you seamlessly apply and increase your chances of being admitted into any Nigeria University.
First of all, what is Sociology? It can be defined as the development, structure, and functioning of human society.
The word Sociology originated from Auguste Comte, a French philosopher in the year 1839 from 2 Latin words: first ‘societies’ which means society and the second ‘logos’ which means study. The general meaning of Sociology is the study of society.
Below you will find all the requirements need to successfully apply for admission into any University in Nigeria offering the course. This includes the JAMB subject combination, O’level subjects required, Direct Entry requirement, special consideration (waiver) and more.
WAEC & JAMB Subject Combination for Sociology & Requirements
Below are all the required subjects for JAMB UTME examination and the required SSCE subject that is necessary to study Sociology.
WAEC Subject Requirements For Sociology
If you aspire to study sociology in any higher institution in Nigeria, then you are required to score at least five (5) credit passes in the required subjects which will be listed below in your SSCE. Below is the WAEC subject combination for Sociology.
- Use of English Language.
- One (1) Science subject.
- And any Social Science or Arts subject is required.
JAMB Subject Combination to Study Sociology
For those who aspire to study sociology in a Nigerian higher institution
- Use of English Language.
- Plus 2 other Social Sciences/Arts subjects.
Direct Entry Requirements to study Study Sociology
If you don’t intend to apply for admission into any University in Nigeria using the require UTME requirements, then you must ensure that you satisfy the Direct Entry Requirements for Sociology below:
- Two (2) A Level passes including History or Government.
Waiver / Special Considerations
*. Ahmadu Bello University: They accept 5 O’level credit passes in Economics, Geography, English Language, Government/History, Christian Religious Studies / Islamic Studies and at least an ‘O’ level pass in Mathematics.
*. Adekunle Ajasin University Akungba: They accept ‘O’ level credit passes in Use of English Language, Government/History, Mathematics and any other 2 Arts or Social/ Science subjects.
*. ABSU and UNICAL: They accept O’level pass in Mathematics. Meanwhile, the University of IBADAN accepts 5 ‘O’ level credits passes from any Sciences, Arts or Social /Sciences subjects.
*. DELSU, UNIBEN, and Ambrose Ali University: They require an ‘O’ level credit pass in Mathematics.
*. ABUAD: They accept ‘O’ level credit passes in Mathematics, Use of English language, Government and any other 2 Social Science subjects.
*. DELSU and BOWEN UNIVERSITY: They require candidates to have 5 ‘O’ level credit passes to include Mathematics, Use of English Language, and any 2 Social Science subjects in addition to any other subject.
*. FEDERAL UNIVERSITY-LAFIA: They require candidates to have ‘O’ level credit passes in Mathematics, Use of English Language, Government and any 2 of Commerce, Economics, History, Christian Religious Studies or Islamic Studies.
*. JABU: They require candidates to have at least ‘O’ level pass in Mathematics.
*. Bauchi State University: They require candidates to possess 5 ‘O’ level credit passes from any Social Science or Arts subjects.
*. PLATEAU STATE UNIVERSITY: They require ‘o’ level credit passes in English Language and any 3 Social sciences or Arts subjects in addition to at least an ‘O’ level pass in Mathematics.
Universities in Nigeria Offering Sociology
SOCIOLOGY in Nigerian Universities is either offered as a single major in the Faculty/School/College of Arts leading to the award of Bachelor of Arts or as a double major course in Sociology/Anthropology. Below are Universities offering it as a double course:
- COVENANT UNIVERSITY
- EVANGEL UNIVERSITY, EBONYI
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY-NDUFU
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY-OTUOKE
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY-KASHERE
- PLATEAU STATE UNIVERSITY, BOKKOS
- SALEM UNIVERSITY, LOKOJA
Sociology is also available in the Faculty/School/College of Social and Management studies which leads to the award of a Bachelor’s degree in Science .B.Sc. (Hons) in the following Universities:
- ACHIEVERS UNIVERSITY, OWO
- Abia State University Uturu (ABSU)
- Ado Bayero University, Kano
- Adekunle Ajasin University Akungba (AAUA)
- AFE BABALOLA UNIVERSITY, ADO-EKITI (ABUAD)
- Ahmadu Bello University, KADUNA (ABU)
- Ambrose Ali University, EKPOMA (AAUA)
- AL-QALAM UNIVERSITY, KATSINA
- Bauchi State University (BASU)
- Benue State University, Makurdi(BSU)
- BOWEN UNIVERSITY, IWO
- BINGHAM UNIVERSITY, NASARAWA
- CARITAS UNIVERSITY, ENUGU
- Chukuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli (COOUU)
- COVENANT UNIVERSITY, OTA
- CRAWFORD UNIVERSITY, IGBESA
- Delta State University, Abraka
- EASTERN PALM UNIVERSITY, ORLU(EPU)
- Edo State University, Iyamho
- Ekiti State University, Ado Ekiti
- Federal University-DUTSINMA
- Federal University-GUSAU
- Federal University-GASHUA
- Federal University-KEBBI
- Federal University-OYE EKITI
- Federal University-LAFIA
- Federal University-WUKARI
- FOUNTAIN UNIVERSITY, OSOGBO
- Gombe State University
- Godfrey Okoye University, Urgwuomu-Nike
- GREGORY UNIVERSITY, UTURU
- HEZEKIAH UNIVERSITY, UMUDI, IMO
- Imo State University
- JOSEPH AYODELE BABALOLA UNIVERSITY, IKEJI-ARAKEJI(JABU)
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna
- University of Jos
- Kogi State University, Anyigba
- Kwara State University, Ilorin
- KWARARAFA UNIVERSITY WUKARI
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai
- Lagos State University
- LANDMARK UNIVERSITY, OMU ARAN
- LEGACY UNIVERSITY, OKIJA
- LEADCITY UNIVERSITY, IBADAN
- MADONNA UNIVERSITY, OKIJA
- Nasarawa State University, Keffi.
- NnamdiAzikiwe University, Awka
- Nigeria Police Academy, Wudil, Kano
- NOVENA UNIVERSITY, OGUME
- OBONG UNIVERSITY, ABAK
- Osun State University, Osogbo
- OlabisiOnabanjo University
- PAUL UNIVERSITY, AWKA
- RHEMA UNIVERSITY, ABA
- REDEEMERS UNIVERSITY, EDE
- RITMAN UNIVERSITY, IKOT-EKPENE
- Sokoto State University, Sokoto
- Taraba State University, Jalingo
- University of ABUJA
- University of Calabar, Calabar
- University of Port Harcourt
- University of IBADAN
- UNIVERSITY OF MKAR, GBOKO
- University of ILORIN (ILORIN)
- University of Lagos(LAGOS)
- Usman Dan Fodio University, Sokoto
- Umaru Musa Yar’dua University, Katsina (UMUKY)
- WESTERN-DELTA UNIVERSITY, OGHARA
- Yobe State University
Career Opportunities for Sociologists
COMMUNITY SERVICES: Sociologists are capable of functioning very well in the following areas of community service:
- Advocacy, childcare.
- Community development.
- Non-profit agencies.
- Environmental groups, and urban planning.
- Administrative support.
- Career counsellor and teacher.
- Function in administration.
- Case management.
- Recreation and rehabilitation.
- Elderly & youth services.
BUSINESS: They also can function in business areas such as
- Consumer research.
- Public relations, and media.
- Human resource.
HEALTH SERVICES: In the area of health, Sociologists can function as;
- Family planner,
- Insurance providers,
- Hospital admissions
- Substance abuse education and also in rehabilitation counselling.
LAW: In the area of law, sociologists can function as;
- Law investigation/enforcement.
- Probation and parole administration.
PUBLISHING: When it comes to publishing content or materials, they can function as;
- Professional writers.