Do you wish to study Animal Science at any Nigerian university? If the answer is yes, then you are on the right page. On this page, you will find out the various requirements necessary to study Animal Science.
You will see the WAEC & JAMB Subject Combination Required to Study Animal Science, the Direct Entry (DE) requirements as well as the list of Universities in Nigeria offering Animal Science. In addition to the aforementioned, you will find out the special consideration (waiver) for each school, and the places you can work with a degree in Animal Science.
RELATED CONTENTS: ANTHROPOLOGY.
The first thing that qualifies you to apply for admission into any University to study this course is that you must be a science student. You must go through this article so you can seamlessly register and apply for admission to study this course without mistakes.
WAEC Subject Combination for Animal Science
You are required to have five (5) SSC credit passes in the required subjects for Animal Science which is under the faculty of Agriculture/Vet. medicine. Below are the O’Level Subjects required to study Animal Science:
1). Biology/Agric Science.
2). English Language.
5). And one (1) of Geography, Economics, or Physics.
RELATED CONTENTS: APPLIED ZOOLOGY.
- UI – As in Agriculture.
- PHC – Same as in Fisheries.
- FUTO – as in Agricultural Economics.
- UNN and UNIBEN – As in Agricultural Economics.
- ESUTECH, IMSU, RSUST & DELSU accept ‘O’ level pass in English.
- ABSU and TSUJ require five (5) SSC credit passes in Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology/Agricultural Science, English Language, and Physics. TSUJ also accepts ‘O’ level pass in Physics.
- RSUST requires at least an ‘O’ level pass in Physics. ‘O’ level credit passes in Mathematics, English, Chemistry, Biology, and Physics.
- ESUTECH requires an ‘O’ level pass in Physics and ‘O’ level credit pass in Mathematics.
- UNIOSUN accepts 5 ‘O’ level credit passes in the SSC or its equivalent at not more than 2 sittings plus an acceptable score in the UTME.
- EBSU accepts at least an ‘O’ level pass in Physics.
- FUAM accepts 5 credit passes in SSC or its equivalent at not more than 2 sittings in the following subjects: Agricultural Science or Biology, Chemistry, English Language, Mathematics, and any other subject. Also, at least a pass in Physics is required. A credit in Agric. Science must be backed with at least a pass in Biology. A pass in English Language is also acceptable if the Science subjects grades scored is high.
- FUNAAB as in Agriculture Extension and Rural Development.
- UNICAL accepts Economics and Geography and requires an ‘O’ level credit pass in Physics.
JAMB Subjects Required to Study Animal Science
There are three (3) subjects that you will meet in your JAMB UTME examination which will be listed below. Nevertheless, knowing the subjects is not all that is required. You are required to score not less than 180 (JAMB cut-off mark for Animal Science) if you want to study this course at any University in Nigeria.
We urge you to aim for 200 and above so you can stand a better chance of being admitted into any University in Nigeria. Below is the three (3) JAMB subject combination for Animal Science:
- UNIOSUN same as in Fisheries.
- UNICAL accepts Mathematics or Physics.
- RSUST requires Biology or Agricultural Science.
- UNIBEN and FUTO – Same as in Agricultural Economics.
- UI and UNN accept Agricultural Economics and Agriculture respectively.
Direct Entry Requirement to Study Animal Science
You can apply for admission to study animal science if you don’t intend to use UTME. Below are the Direct Entry (DR) Requirements to Study Animal Science which is under the faculty of Agricultural/Vet. Medicine:
- You are required to have two (2) ‘A’ level passes or its equivalent in Chemistry and one of Botany/Biology/Zoology/Geography/Agriculture Science/Geology/Economics/Mathematics.
- UNIPORT – No Direct Entry.
- UNIMAID accepts NCE/ND/HND in relevant programs.
- DELSU, UNIBEN and UNN– As in Agricultural Economics.
- IMSU accepts ND credit in related programs and HND credit levels.
- TSUJ accepts National Diploma (ND) in Animal Production and health or any other program with animal science-related options with at least a lower credit pass plus the UTME requirements.
- FUTO – as in Agricultural Economics
- RSUST requires HSC/GCE ‘A’ level passes in Biology and Chemistry in addition to ‘O’ level credit pass in English Language, ND upper credit in Biology or Agricultural Science, or HND credit in Biology or Agricultural Science in addition to the UTME requirements.
- ABSU and OAU accept HND upper credit. OAU does not accept Geography, Economics, and Geology.
- EBSU accepts
i). NCE with minimum merit passes in relevant subjects.
ii). ND and HND with a minimum of upper credit in relevant programs
- COOU and UNICAL – Same as in Agriculture- Economics, and Extension.
- FUNAAB – Same as in Animal Production and Health.
- UNICAL accepts HND credit, ND/NCE merit in Agricultural Science or related programs.
- FUAM accepts candidates who meet the UTME requirements, in addition to ND at lower credit in Animal Production and Health or Agriculture or NCE merit in Agricultural Science or Animal Science major may be considered for admission into 100 level.
– Candidates with a minimum of upper credit in Animal Production and Health or Agriculture may be admitted to 200 level.
– Applying candidates with the UTME requirements, in addition to NCE credit in Animal Science Double Major or Agricultural Science may be admitted to 200 levels.
– Candidates with the UTME requirements, in addition to HND upper credit pass in Animal Production and Health or Agriculture, may be admitted to 300 level.
Nigerian Universities Offering Animal Sciences
- AAU (AMBROSE ALLI UNIVERSITY, EKPOMA, EDO STATE)
- AKSU (AKWA IBOM STATE UNIVERSITY, IKOT-AKPADEN, AKWA IBOM STATE)
- UNIBEN (UNIVERSITY OF BENIN, BENIN CITY, EDO STATE)
- UNICAL (UNIVERSITY OF CALABAR, CALABAR, CROSS RIVER STATE)
- COOU (CHUKWUEMEKA ODUMEGWU OJUKWU UNIVERSITY, ULI, ANAMBRA STATE)
- DELSU (DELTA STATE UNIVERSITY, ABRAKA, DELTA STATE)
- EBSU (EBONYI STATE UNIVERSITY, ABAKALIKI, EBONYI STATE)
- UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN, IBADAN, OYO STATE
- UNIVERSITY OF MAIDUGURI, BORNO STATE
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE, MAKURDI, BENUE STATE
- NASARAWA STATE UNIVERSITY, KEFFI, NASARAWA STATE
- OAU (OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY, ILE-IFE, OSUN STATE)
- UNIPORT (UNIVERSITY OF PORT-HARCOURT, RIVERS STATE)
- RSUST (RIVERS STATE UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, PORT HARCOURT, R/STATE)
- TSUJ (TARABA STATE UNIVERSITY, JALINGO, TARABA STATE)
- UNIOSUN (OSUN STATE UNIVERSITY, OSOGBO, OSUN STATE)
- UNN (UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA NSUKKA, ENUGU STATE)
- UNIUYO (UNIVERSITY OF UYO, AKWA IBOM STATE)
ANIMAL SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
- FUTO (FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, OWERRI, IMO STATE)
ANIMAL SCIENCE AND RANGE MANAGEMENT
- MAUTY (MODIBO ADAMA UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, YOLA, ADAMAWA STATE).
ANIMAL SCIENCE AND FISHERIES
- ABSU (ABIA STATE UNIVERSITY, UTURU, ABIA STATE)
- ANIMAL SCIENCE AND FISHERIES MANAGEMENT
- IMSU (IMO STATE UNIVERSITY, OWERRI, IMO STATE)
- ESUTECH (ENUGU STATE UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, ENUGU, ENUGU STATE)
RELATED CONTENT: AQUACULTURE AND FISHERIES MANAGEMENT.
Places To Work with a Degree in Animal Science
Below are some of the job roles and titles for Animal Science Graduates
- Animal Behavior Specialist
- Farm Manager
- Animal Scientist
- Research biologist.
- Livestock Manager
- Stable manager.
- Food Inspector.
- Agribusiness manager.
- Federal meat inspector.
- Embryo transfer technician.
- Sales and service personnel.
- Industry Manager/Director.
- Breed association representative.
- Artificial insemination technician.
- Laboratory Manager.
- Management Consultant.
- Marketing Manager/Director.
- Animal Nutritionist.
- Animal technician
- Nature conservation officer
- Nature conservation officer