JAMB Subject Combination & UTME/DE Admission Requirements for studying French will be listed in this article. So, if you want to study this course at any University in Nigeria offering the course (It will be listed in this article), then you have to pay adequate attention to this post.
On this page, we covered the required WAEC and JAMB subjects and other admission requirements for studying French. We also listed all the Universities in Nigeria where you can study the course as well as their special requirements. Below are the admission requirements for both UTME and Direct Entry candidates who want to study French.
O’Level Admission Requirements For French
If you want to study French in any of the Nigerian universities offering the course, then you must ensure you meet the O’level requirements. You are expected to have at least five (5) SSCE credit passes which should include the following subjects:
2). English Language.
4). One (1) other Arts subject.
5). Any other subject.
SPECIAL CONSIDERATION & REMARKS
1). UNI-IBADAN accepts five (5) or six (6) ‘O’ level credit passes but it must be at one (1) or two (2) sittings. It must include Literature-in-English and other Social Science and Arts subjects.
2). UMYUK accepts five (5) ‘O’ level credit passes or its equivalent in French, English Language, Mathematics, and any other three (3) Social Science or Arts subjects at not more than two (2) sittings.
3). UNILAG requires five (5) ‘O’ level credit passes in English Language, Mathematics and any other three (3) subjects from Social Sciences or Arts. Computer Studies and Civic Education are also accepted.
4). UNILORIN accepts Social Science subjects. Candidates who did not offer French at UTME are accepted by UNILORIN provided they meet the UTME requirements.
5). UNIOSUN requires five (5) ‘O’ level credit passes or its equivalent in Government or History, English Language, and any other three (3) subjects.
6). UNIBEN, OAU, UNIZIK accept candidates with no previous knowledge of French. For UNIBEN, candidates should have ‘O’ level credit passes in Literature-in-English and English Language while UNIZIK gives an accelerated course in French in the first year.
7). UNIZIK accepts five (5) ‘O’ level credit passes which must include French, English Language and two (2) other Arts subjects and one (1) Social Science subject.
8). UNICAL accepts candidates with five (5) ‘O’ level credit passes at not more than two (2) sittings. The subjects must include any five of the following: Literature-in-English, History, English Language, Mathematics, Government, CRS, Commerce, Agricultural Science or Biology, Economics, Geography, and any Nigerian Indigenous Language. Knowledge of Spanish or French is only an advantage but NOT a requirement.
Quick Read: How to Create a JAMB Profile.
9). UNN accepts/requires the following:
i). French Single Honours, a minimum of five (5) ‘O’ level credit passes which must include English Language, Literature-in-English, French, one (1) science subject and any one (1) other Arts subject.
ii). German Single Honours with a minimum of five (5) ‘O’ level credit passes to include English Language, Literature-in-English, one (1) science subject and two (2) other Arts subjects. Also, any language certificate from the Goethe Institute will be a big advantage.
iii). French with Russia/German, ‘O’ level credit passes which must include Literature-in-English, French, English Language, one (1) science subject and one (1) other Arts subject.
iv). Successful candidates in its one (1) year preparatory programme in French with a minimum of 40% in addition to the UTME requirement.
10). NSUK accepts NCE merit pass in French.
11). NDA requires two (2) Social Science and Arts subjects from Economics, Government, Geography, Civic Education, History, CRS//IS, Arabic and any other Nigerian Language.
12). OAU did not make ‘O’ level credit pass in French compulsory.
13). UNIUYO and EKSU accept Proficiency Certificate in French. UNIUYO accepts Proficiency Certificate in French from the University of UYO and certificate in French from the Alliance Fanҫaise.
14). KASU accepts only subjects from the Social Sciences or Arts. They also require three (3) other Arts subjects.
15). COVENANT requires five (5) ‘O’ level credit passes in English Language, French, Mathematics, one (1) Science subject from the following subject: Agricultural Science, Biology, Physics, Health/General Science and Chemistry or its equivalent of PIDELF or CEF awarded by Alliance Française or the PreDegree Certificate in French from any recognized University.
16). BSU requires five (5) ‘O’ level credit passes in Social Sciences and Arts including English Language and French.
17). DELSU, BSU requires five (5) ‘O’ level credit passes in Literature in English and other Arts or Social Science subjects.
18). ABSU requires ‘O’ level credit passes in English Language and four (4) other subjects for the 5- year Programme.
- ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR EDUCATION AND FRENCH.
- ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR ENGLISH LANGUAGE.
- EDUCATION AND ENGLISH LANGUAGE ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS.
- CHINESE STUDIES AND ITS ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS.
- ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR ARABIC LANGUAGE.
JAMB UTME Subject Combination for French
Another important factor that you have to put into serious consideration when applying to study French is the subjects you must choose as a UTME candidate. You don’t just choose any subject you feel like as there are specific general subjects required, except on occasions the University chooses what they want (i.e Special Consideration).
You are going to face three (3) O’Level subjects in your JAMB UTME. Below are the three (3) proper subject combinations for French which is under the faculty of Arts & Humanities in most Nigerian Universities.
2). And any other two (2) Arts and Social Sciences subjects.
SPECIAL CONSIDERATION & REMARKS
1). BABCOCK requires Literature in English.
2). BSU and UNN require Literature-in-English, French, and any other Arts subjects.
3). ABSU accepts Literature in English and two (2) other Social Science or Arts subjects.
4). ABSU, OAU, OOU, UI, EKSU, and UNIZIK, accept any three (3) subjects from Arts and Social Sciences.
5). KWASU requires two (2) other Arts subjects.
6). UNILAG accepts any other three (3) subjects from Arts or Social Sciences.
7). UNIBEN requires any three (3) subjects from Arts, Science or Social Sciences
8). UNICAL requires CRS, Literature in English and either Government or History.
9). UNIOSUN requires History or Government in addition to any other Arts Subjects.
Direct Entry Admission Requirements for French
For those who don’t intend to apply to study French using UTME, then you must ensure that you meet with the Direct Entry (DE) admission requirement to study french listed below.
- Two (2) ‘A’ level passes including French and one (1) other Arts subject.
SPECIAL CONSIDERATION & REMARKS
1). ABSU accepts:
i). Candidates with two (2) ‘A’ level passes in Arts into the 4-year programme.
ii). Two (2) ‘A’ level passes which must include French at NCE/IJMB. The use of English/General English at NCE satisfies UTME English Language requirements.
2). AAU accepts:
i). NCE merit in French and one (1) Arts subject.
ii). NCE Double major in French.
3). BSU requires two (2) NCE passes which must include French and one (1) other Arts subject.
4). BUK accepts NCE in French and any French Baccalaureate ‘A’ level.
5). DELSU accepts NCE merit in two (2) major teaching subjects, which must include French.
6). KWASU accepts NCE, ND with French as principal subject. They also require three (3) ‘A’ level passes in relevant subjects.
7). OAU accepts NCE merit pass in French (Nigeria French Language Village) as well as the Baccalaureate from Francophone countries.
i). Three (3) or four (4)-year programme to includes a year at the Nigerian French Village, Badagry. Note that all the expenses will be borne by the student’s sponsors.
ii). A 4-year intensive program that must include a year at the Nigerian French Language Village. This is also available for candidates without any previous knowledge of French.
8). UNICAL accepts:
i). Five (5) ‘O’ level passes to include English Language at not more than two (2) sittings in addition to two (2) ‘A’ level passes one (1) of which must be in French.
ii). Four (4) ‘O’ level credit passes to include English Language at not more than two (2) sittings, plus three (3) ‘A’ level passes one (1) of which must be in French.
iii). Five (5) ‘O’ level credit passes to include English Language at not more than two (2) sittings, plus two (2) NCE merit or credit passes of which one (1) must be in French.
How To Calculate Your JAMB and Departmental Cut off Mark.
2021 jamb cut off mark for all universities and polytechnics.
Download The Official 2021 JAMB Brochure For All Institution.
How To Know Your JAMB UTME Exam Center and Date.
Steps To Upload NECO & WAEC Result on JAMB Caps Portal.
9). UNILORIN accepts NCE credit which must include French as the major subject and ND with French as Principal subject.
10). UNIPORT – No Direct Entry.
11). UNILAG accepts:
i). Very good passes in JUPEB/’A’ level subjects: French and any two (2) of Yoruba, Igbo, IS, CRS, History, Literature-in-English, Government, Music and Fine Arts.
ii). NCE in French/NFLV, Diplôme Supérieur (Module III)/Diploma, CEGEP (Canada), DALF (France), Baccalaureate, CAP and BTS
12). UNI-IBADAN accepts NCE merit to include French and one (1) other subjects from Social Science and Arts subject. Ibadan also accepts candidates without ‘O’ level in French.
13). UNN accepts:
i). NCE merit in two (2) relevant subjects as well as the UTME requirements.
ii). DALF certificate or an acceptable Baccalaureate Certificate, two (2) passes at GCE ‘A’ level/HSC or its equivalent in relevant subjects.
14). UNIUYO, UNIZIK, EKSU, and JOS accept NCE in addition to ‘O’ level credit pass in English Language.
15). UNIUYO accepts NCE with credit in French.
16). UNIZIK requires/accept NCE to include a pass in French and also accept Baccalaureat de l’enseignement – merite secondaire or equivalent.
17). UNIOSUN requires ‘A’ level passes in French and Government /History and any other Social Science or Arts subject. They also accept ND and approved equivalent in a relevant program with nothing less than a lower credit. The NCE is acceptable as an ‘A’ level equivalent.
100 Phrases Every French Beginner Must-Know
Credit to: #FrenchPod101
List of Universities In Nigeria Offering French
- AAU (AMBROSE ALLI UNIVERSITY, EKPOMA, EDO STATE).
- ABSU (ABIA STATE UNIVERSITY, UTURU, ABIA STATE).
- ABU (AHMADU BELLO UNIVERSITY, ZARIA, KADUNA STATE).
- BABCOCK UNIVERSITY, ILISHAN-REMO, OGUN STATE.
- BAYERO UNIVERSITY, KANO, KANO STATE.
- UNIBEN (UNIVERSITY OF BENIN, BENIN CITY, EDO STATE).
- BSU (BENUE STATE UNIVERSITY, MAKURDI, BENUE STATE).
- UNICAL (UNIVERSITY OF CALABAR, CALABAR, CROSS RIVER STATE).
- COVENANT UNIVERSITY, CANAAN LAND, OTA, OGUN STATE.
- CROWN HILL UNIVERSITY, EIYENKORIN, KWARA STATE.
- DELSU (DELTA STATE UNIVERSITY, ABRAKA, DELTA STATE).
- EBSU (EBONYI STATE UNIVERSITY, ABAKALIKI, EBONYI STATE).
- EKSU (EKITI STATE UNIVERSITY, ADO-EKITI, EKITI STATE).
- FED-LAFIA (FEDERAL UNIVERSITY, LAFIA, NASARAWA STATE).
- FED-LOKOJA (FEDERAL UNIVERSITY, LOKOJA, KOGI STATE).
- FED-NDUFU (ALEX EKWUEME FEDERAL UNIVERSITY, NDUFU-ALIKE, EBONYI STATE).
- FOUNTAIN UNIVERSITY, OSOGBO, OSUN STATE.
- GREGORY UNIVERSITY, UTURU, ABIA STATE.
- IAUED (IGNATIUS AJURU UNIVERSITY OF EDUCATION, PORT HARCOURT, RIVERS STATE).
- UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN, IBADAN, OYO STATE.
- IGBINEDION UNIVERSITY, OKADA, BENIN CITY, EDO STATE.
- UNIVERSITY OF ILORIN, ILORIN, KWARA STATE.
- IMSU (IMO STATE UNIVERSITY, OWERRI, IMO STATE).
- UNIVERSITY OF JOS, JOS, PLATEAU STATE.
- KASU (KADUNA STATE UNIVERSITY, KADUNA, KADUNA STATE).
- KWASU (KWARA STATE UNIVERSITY, MALETE, ILORIN, KWARA STATE).
- UNILAG (UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS, LAGOS STATE).
- LAPAI (IBRAHIM BADAMASI BABANGIDA UNIVERSITY, LAPAI, NIGER STATE).
- LASU (LAGOS STATE UNIVERSITY, OJO, LAGOS STATE).
- UNIVERSITY OF MAIDUGURI, BORNO STATE.
- NASARAWA STATE UNIVERSITY, KEFFI, NASARAWA STATE.
- NAUB (NIGERIAN ARMY UNIVERSITY, BIU, BORNO STATE).
- NDA (NIGERIAN DEFENCE ACADEMY, KADUNA, KADUNA STATE).
- OAU (OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY, ILE-IFE, OSUN STATE).
- OLABISI ONABANJO UNIVERSITY, AGO-IWOYE, OGUN STATE – OOU
- UNIPORT (UNIVERSITY OF PORT-HARCOURT, RIVERS STATE).
- NIGERIAN POLICE ACADEMY, WUDIL, KANO STATE.
- REDEEMERS UNIVERSITY, OSUN STATE.
- SAU (SAMUEL ADEGBOYEGA UNIVERSITY, OGWA, EDO STATE).
- TSUJ (TARABA STATE UNIVERSITY, JALINGO, TARABA STATE).
- UDU (USMANU DANFODIO UNIVERSITY, SOKOTO, SOKOTO STATE).
- UMYUK (UMARU MUSA YARADUA UNIVERSITY, KATSINA, KATSINA STATE).
- UNIOSUN (OSUN STATE UNIVERSITY, OSOGBO, OSUN STATE).
- UNIZIK (NNAMDI AZIKIWE UNIVERSITY, AWKA, ANAMBRA STATE).
- UNN (UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA NSUKKA, ENUGU STATE).
- UNIUYO (UNIVERSITY OF UYO, AKWA IBOM STATE).
UNIVERSITIES IN NIGERIA YOU CAN STUDY MODERN AND EUROPEAN
UNIVERSITIES IN NIGERIA YOU CAN STUDY FRENCH WITH GERMAN / RUSSIAN
NIGERIA UNIVERSITIES YOU CAN STUDY FRENCH AND INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS
UNIVERSITIES IN NIGERIA YOU CAN STUDY FRENCH AND INTERNATIONAL STUDIES