Today in this article, we will be listing out the admission requirements for the Biotechnology course. We must inform you that this course Biotechnology can be studied in two (2) different faculties in different universities. Some Universities offer this course under the Faculty of Science, while others, under the faculty of Engineering, whichever you are looking for, we’ve got you covered.
This page covers everything about the admission requirements to study Biotechnology and it includes; the WAEC and JAMB subject combination for Biotechnology, Direct Entry admission requirements, O’Level subjects and requirement, a list of all the universities where you can study this course, special considerations (Waiver), career and jobs you can work with a degree in Biotechnology.
You must pay attention to this page to get all the prerequisites that will enable you to successfully apply for admission into any University in Nigeria to study Biotechnology.
Direct Entry & UTME Admission Requirements to Study Biotechnology [Science]
You must note that you are expected to meet certain requirements before you can be qualified to study Biotechnology. One of the requirements includes the possession of the right O’Level credit passes in your SSC examination. You must ensure that you have not less than five (5) credit passes in the following O’Level subjects listed below:
5). English Language.
JAMB Subject Combination for Biotechnology:
There are three (3) compulsory subjects that you will see in your JAMB UTME examination. You are expected to score not less than 180 in the JAMB UTME examination if you want to study this course at any Nigerian University offering it.
This is because 180 is the JAMB cut-off mark for this course for Universities. Below are the three (3) subjects that you will face in your JAMB UTME examination.
JAMB UTME Subjects for Biotechnology:
3). And any other Science subject.
i). MOUNTAIN TOP requires Chemistry and any two (2) O’Level subjects from Biology, Mathematics, and Physics.
Universities in Nigeria Offering Biotechnology Under Science
- ABUAD (AFE BABALOLA UNIVERSITY, ADO-EKITI, EKITI STATE)
- ARTHUR JARVIS UNIVERSITY, AKPABUYO, CROSS RIVER STATE
- ANCHOR-UNI (ANCHOR UNIVERSITY, AYOBO, LAGOS STATE)
- BELLS UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, OTA, OGUN STATE
- BAZE UNIVERSITY, ABUJA, FCT
- CRAWFORD UNIVERSITY, IGBESA, OGUN STATE
- EVANGEL UNIVERSITY, AKAEZE, EBONYI STATE
- ELIZADE UNIVERSITY, ILARA-MOKIN, ONDO STATE
- FED-DUTSE (FEDERAL UNIVERSITY, DUTSE, JIGAWA STATE)
- FUTO (FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, OWERRI, IMO STATE)
- FUTA (FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, AKURE, ONDO STATE)
- GOUU (GODFREY OKOYE UNIVERSITY, URGWUOMU- NIKE, ENUGU STATE)
- KASU (KADUNA STATE UNIVERSITY, KADUNA, KADUNA STATE)
- MAUTY (MODIBO ADAMA UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, YOLA, ADAMAWA STATE)
- MC-IBRU (MICHAEL AND CECILIA IBRU UNIVERSITY, OWHRODE, DELTA STATE)
- MOUNTAIN TOP UNIVERSITY, MAKOGI-OBA, OGUN STATE
- McPHERSON UNIVERSITY, SERIKI SOTAYO, OGUN STATE
- NILE UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA, ABUJA
- SALEM UNIVERSITY, LOKOJA, KOGI STATE
- UNIKINGS (KINGS UNIVERSITY, ODE-OMU, OSUN STATE)
- WESTERN-DEL (WESTERN DELTA UNIVERSITY, OGHARA, DELTA STATE)
Direct Entry Admission Requirements for Biotechnology:
If you don’t want to use the UTME procedure to apply for admission into any Nigerian University to study Biotechnology, then you must ensure that you meet the following Direct entry requirements to study Biotechnology below.
- Two (2) A-Level passes in Biology/Zoology/Botany and Physics or Chemistry.
UTME & Direct Entry Admission Requirements for Biotechnology [Engineering]
O’Level Subjects & Requirements:
You must ensure that you have at least five (5) SSC credit passes in the O’Level subjects listed below:
5). English Language.
JAMB Subjects for Biotechnology
You will only meet three subjects in your JAMB UTME examination and they include the following subjects:
1). Biology or Physics.
Biotechnology Admission Requirements for Direct Entry Candidates:
1). A-Level passes in 2 of Chemistry, Mathematics, and Physics.
2). HND/ND upper credit in relevant programs.
Nigerian Universities Offering Biotechnology Under Engineering
- BELLS UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, OTA, OGUN STATE.
i). MCPHERSON accepts 5 ‘O’ level credit passes in relevant subjects in addition to HND upper credit or ND upper credit or NCE merit.
ii). MOUNTAIN TOP requires 2 ‘A’ level passes in the following: Chemistry and any one (1) of Biology, Physics, or Mathematics.
iii). GODFREY requires two (2) “A” level passes in Chemistry and any one of Biology, Physics, or Mathematics. NCE/ND with good grades in relevant “O” level subjects.
Sectors & Places you can work with a degree in Biotechnology
1). Biomedical Engineer.
2). Medical Scientist.
5). Biomanufacturing Specialists.
6). Process Development Scientist.
7). Biological/Clinical Technician.
8). Director of Product Strategy/Commercialization.
9). Business Development Manager.